Posted on 10/9/2008

I’ve been known to like the odd bevy while watching a little footy down at BMO Field, but as I approach my 34th birthday I can’t have a good night on the town without facing the consequences.  I’m sure many of the fans at BMO face the same situation.  So time to do something about the extra pounds…yes they can be confused with pints, but in this case less is better than more.

Starting in the next couple of weeks you will see a new segment on “Extra Time” called “Train Like a Pro with Paul Winsper.”  Yes we’ve hired Toronto FC’s Strength and Conditioning Coach to show everyone at home some of the workouts Toronto FC do day in and day out to get in and stay in shape.  The cool thing about all of these workouts is you don’t need a gym or expensive equipment…it’s all about the reps, intensity and working the six core groups of your body.  Winsper has trained some of the top soccer players in the world…Alan Shearer, Michael Owen and David Beckham.  He was a member of the staff when Bobby Robson was in charge at Newcastle United.  Now, wait for it….he has the pleasure of training Lee Godfrey!  When I sat in a producers meeting about this and said I had no problem being the guinea pig.  Now I don’t want to say big mistake, because once I start seeing the benefits of the workouts I’m sure I’ll be happy I did this, but not right now.  Am I EVER in PAIN!  Friday was the first workout and Sunday after coming home from Canada’s World Cup Qualifying match in Montreal I could not move my arms.

Once I get into the routine and about a week or so into it Paul has told me most of the pain will go away once your body adjusts to the workouts.  In the end though for all of the Carlsberg section people at TFC games it takes just 20 minutes a day and 80 minutes out of the week to go on a program used by the players at Toronto FC.  My girlfriend probably won’t mistake me for David Beckham walking through the door in 8 weeks (he has more tattoos), but she and I will both see a huge difference in my weight, tone and energy level and that’s what it is all about……and no the cameras have not caught me throwing up…not yet anyway.

Comments

Posted by carlos on
1/7/2009 3:02:15 AM
Hey Lee, I watched the show and I found it very motivating, thanks for the time spend on that topic. Having said that, I was wondering if I could get a copy of the routine you followed, and also, are you guys repiting the show?? \nI can't wait to start following your routine and hopefully getting the same results!!\nThanks again you have been a great motivation!
Posted by Fred on
9/26/2008 5:45:46 PM
Hey Lee,\nWhat's up with Bundesliga?\nBundesliga is the main reason I'm subscribing to GolTV and the coverage is very disappointing. No live games, No Bayern games and not many Bundesliga matches....\nPlease let us know what's going on\n
Posted by Cheryl on
9/26/2008 3:06:57 PM
I too am disappointed at the lack of Bundesliga matches this week. I really wanted to see Bremen / Hoffenheim this weekend (Sept 27) as Hoffenheim is surprising everyone with how well they play. I hope there is some way to resolve this as there seem to be a lot of disappointed fans.\n\nLee, I enjoyed the Train Like a Pro segment(NOT because I enjoyed seeing you in pain) and I'm looking forward to the rest. Good for you for agreeing to be the guinea pig.\n\n
Posted by Ross on
9/22/2008 8:43:34 PM
It's the ONLY reason I subscribe to GolTV!\n\nAlthough the reduction of coverage from one Friday, 2 Saturday and one Sunday game is disappointing, it's the fact that they have now (for game weeks 4 and 5) not shown either chosen game live AND instead of showing a live game on Sunday they chose to run a delayed Saturday game during the time slot when two other games (including a HUGE VFB Stuttgart vs. Karlsruhe game) were live!! What gives??
Posted by Scott on
9/22/2008 2:56:39 PM
Hi Lee. Count me among the disappointed with Ross and Travis regarding the recent lack of Bundesliga matches. That is the single biggest reason I subscribe to your network and the schedule of recent weeks has been concerning. The Bundesliga is very exciting in my opinion and it is by far the league I watch the most. What gives? Are you guys putting it on the backburner to focus on other leagues? I hope not, because I need my fix. Vorwarts FC Schalke.
Posted by Travis on
9/18/2008 2:13:12 PM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you Ross. I was wondering as well what happened to all the Bundesliga games on Gol. Any info Lee? I thought there were to be 4 games a week. I'm a Bayern man myself, but a Bundesliga fan in general. It's disappointing to only have 2 matches to choose from this weekend (Sept.20-21). And the Bayern/Bremen game to be shown on delay and not live is hugely disappointing for myself, even if it's only a couple hour delay. Is there some contracting issue (other than the GolTV/Dish network thing) responsible?\n\nAs for the article, it's a good idea. I think a lot of us baller fans enjoy a pint or 2 while watching a match. I know I could use the exercise. I'll have to tune in. Keep it up Lee. Just think how buff you'll be with the working out. Chin up!\nCherio,\nTravis
Posted by Ross on
9/17/2008 12:56:10 AM
That should have read "this past weekend" (Sept 13th, they did not show a live Bundesliga game at 9:30am, rather showed a delayed game at 11:30am and another delayed game later in the afternoon). \n\nOnce again this weekend (Sept. 2oth) golTV is listing NO live game at 9:30am, a delayed game (as per usual) at 11am, and a delayed game Hamburg-Wolfsburg on Sunday during the 11am (EST) time slot when other LIVE Bundesliga games (notably the Stuttgart-Karlsruhe derby) are underway!!\n\nYour comments??\n\nSincerely, a HIGHLY disappointed Bundesliga GolTV fan,\n\nRoss\n\nPS> Last year we usually had the Friday afternoon game (2:30pm EST), two games Saturday morning (live at 9am, second match delayed at 11am) AND one Live Sunday game (11am); contrast that to this upcoming week with one delayed game on saturday and a delayed game on Sunday during the same timeslot as live games are underway?!?
Posted by Lee on
9/13/2008 12:18:47 AM
Hey Ross,\n\nThanks for your post.....it was a FIFA international date for World Cup Qualifiers so all of the top leagues in the world were off.....uhhmmmm except Major League Soccer and I hope they address that next year.\n\nCheers,\nLee\n
Posted by Ross on
9/12/2008 1:24:43 AM
Lee, what's up with no live Bundesliga this weekend... nor VFB Stuttgart for 3 out of 4 weeks! This is not a good development for GolTV (Bundesliga is the reason I subscribe).\n\nCheers,\n\nRoss
Posted by AJ on
10/23/2010 5:03:44 PM
Hey Lee...is GOL TV ever going to show the Train Like a Pro series again?

Name (*required)

E-mail (*required)

Your Comments

Bio

Lee Godfrey brings an extensive amount of soccer broadcast experience to GolTV where he is the host of the station’s original Canadian news program Extra Time.